Monday, May 9, 2011

Blood is hard to clean out of the carpet

I have a love-hate relationship with GoodbyeNurse. He's a good nurse and a much nicer person than I am. But there's also many days when he absolutely drives me up the wall--and I couldn't pinpoint the reason for love nor money. (Insert Freudian theory about transference/countertransference here.)

As with any co-worker, there's always a dynamic of competition that underlies our working relationship. Nothing overt, but it's always there. Consequently it was childishly gratifying when I announced my upcoming vacation and got the following response from the office goddesses:
"But that means we'll have GoodbyeNurse covering for you! I like you better!" the head of the clerical staff wailed.

As usual, I said the first thing that came to mind. "You guys will be fine. Remember, if you kill him, then I have to train a new nurse, and neither of us wants that!"

No comments:

Post a Comment