Saturday, April 21, 2012

Quick announcement

Just a quick reminder to my fellow staff members:

If someone is having a medical emergency, CALL 911!
Feel free to call the nurse after that. That's what I'm here for. But please don't call me first, demand that I come to your building two blocks away, and when I ask why you haven't called EMS on that lady having a seizure in the lobby, respond with "she said no when I asked her if we should call them!" (If you can talk during a seizure, you're probably faking it. At the very least, it's not a typical thrashing grand mal seizure where there's concern about managing your airway.)
I'll let you in on a little secret. In addition to having nice muscles, the paramedics have much cooler gadgets than I do. I have a stethescope. They have IV fluids. I can check someone's blood pressure--they can intubate someone and force them to breathe until they get to the hospital. Call 911!

No comments:

Post a Comment